What should I do if a young child is stammering?

Have more questions? Submit a request

Whether you're a GP approached by a concerned parent or a teacher who suspects that a pupil in your class might be stammering, it is really helpful to be aware of the support available. 

Speech and Language Therapists are allied health professionals who work with children who have speech, language, communication and swallowing difficulties.

As a GP or teacher you can seek advice or make a referral (following discussion with the parent/guardian) to the local speech and language therapy service. 

Timely referral and sign-posting gives parents the information they need to best support their child. 


Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.