Where can I access professional support for my child?

Have more questions? Submit a request

Getting access to the right support can be challenging and so we're here to try to simplify the routes available to you.

Here are a few things you can do - if you want to discuss your individual situation, we recommend you contact us directly using the 'request form' at the top of the page

  • You can ask your GP to make a referral to your local NHS speech and language therapy service.
  • Speak with your child's teacher about your concerns. They may be able to refer you to the local speech and language therapy service.
  • The Michael Palin Centre for Stammering Children, a specialist centre run by Whittington Health NHS Trust and supported by ASC, Whittington Health Charity and the Stuttering Foundation of America, offers several options for referral. You can find out more here
  • There are also private therapy options. The Association of Speech & Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP) provides information about speech and language therapists offering private therapy. All speech and language therapists (whether they work in the NHS or independently) must be registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC). You can find out more information about things to check when considering non-NHS services with the professional body, the Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists

Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful



Please sign in to leave a comment.